Stowe
writes to encourage women to do what they can in matters of achieving more freedom/equality in light of prohibiting slavery. Much like her novel, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, relies on the theme of religion, in this article
Stowe again uses religion, and the piety possessed by women, to convince women to
take up this cause. As an example of this, Stowe is quoted within the article in
her appeal to women stating, “However ambition and the love of political power may
blind the stronger sex, God has given to woman a deeper and more immovable
knowledge, in those holier feelings, which are peculiar to womanhood, and which
guard the sacredness of the family state.” (Stowe, 459) Stowe also poses
questions throughout the piece to get women to question and take interest in
the cause as well, to call upon their duty. The main point of Stowe’s piece can
be summed up well with the final sentence of her article, as she writes, “For
the sake of both, for the sake of our dear children, for the sake of our common
country, for the sake of outraged and struggling liberty throughout the world,
let every woman of America now do her duty.” (Stowe, 461)
I think Stowe’s message
could have been risky at the time of publishing. For Stowe was taking on two
separate issues-advocating for the prohibition of slavery, and for women to in
some ways become more outspoken. Changes to both of these elements could really
have shaken up society at the time. I think it also goes to show how important
Stowe thought it was for women to become involved in the cause. For women could
have influence over their husbands, sons, etc. and as such their piety and
other qualities were essential to this influence, as she states, “The first
duty is for each woman, for herself thoroughly to understand the subject, and
to feel that as mother, wife, sister, or member of society, she is bound to
give her influence on the right side.” (Stowe, 461) Furthermore, I think
this article adds to our understanding of Uncle
Tom’s Cabin, as clearly her message in this article, can be seen in her
novel and the characters themselves, as well.
The ideas of Stowe's piece are reflected in
her novel as well, as the morality of women is a prevalent theme within Uncle Tom’s Cabin. As such, Stowe’s short piece helps us understand some of the
female characters in Uncle Tom’s Cabin. In the beginning of her short piece she
talks of how there’s no good Christian woman that would want their family to
suffer, and as such how any woman could understand the struggles of those in slavery. This is reflected most apparently in the character of Mrs. Bird when she aids Eliza on her journey. Mrs. Bird also tries to influence her husband on the matter of slavery, like Stowe encourages in her article. I think
that Miss Ophelia is also a good example to use. For Miss Ophelia is from the
North, and in many ways depicts everything Stowe writes about in her short
appeal. For Miss Ophelia is opposed to slavery, is religious, and has rid
herself of racial prejudice by the end of the novel, as well. It was likely
Stowe’s intention to again use this character to appeal to the women of the
north. By the end of the novel, Miss Ophelia essentially becomes the role model
for readers, as Stowe basically uses this character to further project her
message, and encourage women to me more like this character.
Stowe, Harriet Beecher. "Appeal to the Women of the Free States." Uncle Tom's Cabin. (2010) 459-461. Print.
You have a lot of great insights to what Stowe was communicating to society. It's interesting to really think about just how much she was taking on a a novelist. She took on the politics addressing slavery, and that of women. I wonder if Ophelia's model is really still something that would be encouraged to follow today.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment! I do question if the model of Ophelia is something to still follow today. I think the use of a character to project a message is rather effective. In the case of Ophelia, I think she certainly did become more enlightened to the issue after several realizations, and in doing so was able to finally put aside her racial prejudice. I think getting past ignorance, like Ophelia did, is something that would/should be encouraged today. So I think that's definitely something people could and still can learn from today. I also think it's something authors can make great use of too when dealing with these more controversial issues.
DeleteI agree that both of Stowe's messages seem very risky for that time period. I really like how Stowe encourages women to voice their opinion and how you related this to Mrs. Bird. I thought Mrs. Bird could have been able to do a lot more than just help Eliza if she would have been heard by others and had support from Mr. Bird.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the feedback! I definitely agree with your point about Mrs. Bird. I think it was unfortunate that at the time women weren't able to have as much of a voice in the public sphere, and were really limited in the ways they could express their opinions, and influence others, as well.
DeleteI agree with you and Emily. Stowe tried to show the importance of women speaking out but was also careful about it. She used religion to not only influence the women in the book but also herself and what she had to say.
ReplyDelete