Sophia Cantave explores the representation and appropriation of African Americans and the slave experience in her article entitled, “Who Gets to Create the Lasting Images? The Problem of Black Representation in Uncle Tom’s Cabin.” The main point of Cantave’s article is that Stowe’s novel does not produce an accurate depiction of slavery. For Stowe’s novel made it hard for African Americans to tell their experience of slavery, as the public was accustomed to what they had heard/read only from whites and the “Master Narrative”. Thus making it hard for African Americans to break from the stereotypes, images and portrayals that Stowe’s novel helped further cement into society.
Cantave’s piece argues that Uncle
Tom’s Cabin does not completely and accurately depict slavery, something
Cantave states Stowe herself admitted to. For Cantave writes that Stowe felt such
inclusion of the more horrific aspects of slavery would make the book
unreadable for her audience. Missing this element, and including comical
depictions of characters like Topsy, Cantave states such that, “…Stowe’s novel
provided the national with a shared cultural context for it discourse on slavery,
offering reductive images, phrases, and symbols that quickly became the
accepted norm.” (Cantave, 582) This reinforces the statement Cantave made on
African Americans, African American writers more specifically, being limited,
as their stories and experiences did not fit into this established norm. With
that being said, Cantave goes on to explain the struggles of African Americans
stemming from what Stowe’s novel helped establish. Cantave makes note of this
struggle faced by African American writers like Toni Morrison and Harriet Wilson,
among others, stating, “African Americans who step outside the accepted
parameters of slavery’s discourse risk shutting down discussions, arousing
white defensive or apologetic barrages and black desires to acquiesce and make
nice in the face of such responses.” (Cantave, 591)
I think this piece adds to our
understanding of Uncle Tom’s Cabin as it gives us a different way to look at
the book. I think Cantave’s article helps us understand that there’s more to
slavery than just what one novel depicts, and that we can’t take it to
represent the story of slaves and slavery as a whole. I also think in some ways,
a reader could miss some of the points that Cantave brings up in her article.
For example, Stowe includes a slave of Legree’s named Sambo. Having learned in a Sociology class, the term
“Sambo” was a derogatory reference to slaves that whites perceived to be
‘stupid’ and incredibly pleasing to their master. Knowing something like this helps us understand
the points Cantave makes, and allows us to see the ways Stowe portrays some of
her characters. With that being said, I think Stowe does start to reinforce
these depictions, stereotypes, and images, much like Cantave argues.
After reading Cantave’s piece, I
would say that I agree with the points that she brings up. I think that it’s
evident that Stowe left out a lot of the horrors of slavery, as there were
truly awful cases of abuse, death, etc. within the lives of many slaves. I
think Stowe presents more good and moral people in her novel in the world of
slavery, than she does bad. While I do understand that adding more about
slavery may have retracted people from reading it, I do wonder if it would have
added to the book’s sentimental theme. Though it may have been hard to read
with the inclusion of such elements, I think omitting parts of the story of
slavery could have been detrimental, just as Cantave argues in her piece. At
the time people in the North, who were nowhere near slavery, could not know the
whole and full story behind slavery and reading a work, from a white author,
would give them uninformed ideas of slavery. In some ways I feel that the
inclusion of a more accurate picture of slavery would have made Stowe’s
intentions and message that much more clear and effective. I also agree with
the point that Cantave makes about African Americans having a hard time
breaking from what has been thought of them and their images, stereotypes, etc.
I think it’s evident even today that African Americans and other minorities
have faced and still face more difficulties than whites.
Cantave, Sophia. “Who Gets to
Create the Lasting Images? The Problem of Black Representation in Uncle Tom’s
Cabin.” Uncle Tom’s Cabin. (2010) 582-594. Print.
I also read this one! I agree that Stowe left out a lot of the reality of slavery. She leaves out the worst part of it such as all the ways they would cruelly abuse and kill the slaves. I think now that we are in the time period we are in, it would be more beneficial if she would have wrote about the worst of slavery and depict it for what it really was. I feel like we are left with these gaps and silences of the African American point of view when just reading Uncle Tom's Cabin and not other background material on the subject.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree that a more accurate depiction of slavery would have been more beneficial. I think a more accurate depiction only could have made more people aware of what was really going on in the time of slavery, and help eliminate any ignorance that still exists. I think you make a good point too about Uncle Tom's Cabin leaving gaps in the African American point of view. Stowe's novel was definitely problematic in the sense that it did this, and left African Americans struggling to voice their experiences and stories.
Delete